Paneer Makhani is a popular Punjabi dish. Paneer (Indian cheese) simmered in rich creamy tomato gravy makes a very delicious dish. Serve Paneer Makhani with any Indian flat bread or over rice. This will be enjoyed by everyone.
Recipe will serve 4. Preparation Time: 10 mins Cooking Time: 25 mins
- 6oz paneer cubed (this will make 1-1/2 cup cubed paneer, available in Indian grocery stores)
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds (til)
- 4 tomatoes medium size cut into small pieces about 2 cup
- 1 tablespoon chopped ginger
- 1 green chili chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds (jeera)
- 1/8 teaspoon asafetida (hing)
- 2 teaspoon coriander powder (dhania)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (haldi)
- 1 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Powdered the cashews and sesame seeds, (I like to use spice grinder). Set aside.
- Pure the tomatoes, ginger and green chili. Set aside.
- In about 2 cups of hot water soak the cubed paneeer for 5 minutes or more, this will make the paneer soft and give a nice texture. Set aside.
- Heat the butter in sauce pan over medium heat; after butter is moderately hot add cumin seeds and asafetida. After the seeds crack add cashew nut powder and roast for about one minute. Add tomato puree and mix it well.
- Add the remaining spices, coriander, turmeric, salt, sugar, mix it well and cover the pot. Tomatoes splatter while cooking. Cook for about four minutes stirring in between until tomatoes start leaving the oil and tomatoes will be half in quantity.
- Add cream, cook for about two minutes stirring often. Add one cup of water, cover the pan and let it cook for about two to three minutes.
- Take out the paneer from water and put into the gravy, stir and cover the pan and cook for about five minutes. Adjust the gravy to your liking if needed add little more water, and cook. Turn off the heat.
- Add the cilantro and garam masala stir and cover for few minutes before serving.