Sankara Nethralaya USA: Continuing the Saga of Three Decades of Dedication and Commitment to Serve the Indigent
Sankara Nethralaya OM Trust (USA), established in June 1988 in Rockville, Maryland, USA as a 501 (C) (3) non-profit organization with the sole objective to support Sankara Nethralaya (SN), Chennai, India. To address the blindness issue in India, Living Legend Padmabhushan Dr. S. S. Badrinath started Sankara Nethralaya (India) in 1978 in a modest scale, which today caters to 2,400 outpatients and 200 surgeries per day and has been a renowned comprehensive eye care center for providing free eye care of international standard to indigent patients in the Indian sub-continent.
Under the stewardship of S.V. Acharya, Founder and President Emeritus and the dynamic leadership of Bala Reddy Indurti, President, with support from the Trustees around the USA, Sankara Nethralaya USA is poised to deliver the much needed eye care every year to thousands of indigent individuals with vision impairments. The organization has Trustees based in Atlanta, Dallas, Washington DC, New Jersey, Houston, Chicago, Seattle, San Francisco, and Los Angeles as of 2019 and planning to open several new chapters in 2020. The organization is growing with renewed interest and enthusiasm from many new community leaders with many years of experience. Following is a list of key activities of the organization which include major fundraising events in various cities.
- Atlanta-based trustees led by Bala Reddy Indurti, President, Moorthy Rekapalli, Vice President, Srini Reddy Vangimalla, Meher Chand Lanka, Board of Trustee of Sankara Nethralaya USA raised $ 200k to support over 3000 cataract operations for the indigent individuals in India. “Awakening of our inner humanity and care for others” is the main theme of the dance ballet ‘DrishTi’ conceptualized & directed by Smt. Padmaja Kelam and written by Siddarth and performed with live orchestra to over 700 plus enthralled audience on September 8th @Infinite Energy Center Atlanta, GA
- In Dallas, “Music for Vision: Give the gift of vision to the indigent” is the theme of the classical music concert by Padma Vibhushan Dr. KJ Yesudas” held on August 31st @Irving, TX. It was sold-out event and generated net proceeds to support about 800 cataract operations for the indigent individuals with vision impairments. “The Wall of Vision will inspire many donors for a noble cause and it is my privilege to unveil this foundational building block” quoted Dr. Reddy Urimindi, Board of Trustee, during his opening remarks. Nani Iswara, Trustee based in Dallas supported the event.
- Srinivas Ganagoni, Board of Trustee based in New Jersey hosted his maiden multilingual music and dance show on Saturday, Sep 7,2019 @ Royal Albert’s Palace, Fords, NJ with local talent and raised $55k to and enthralled 350 attendees. This event was supported by Lead India Foundation, Telangana American Telugu Association, and Telugu Fine Arts Society.
- Washington DC based Trustees lead by SV Acharya, President Emeritus, Dr. Seshu Sarma, Trustee, Banumati Ramakrishnan, Treasurer, Krishna Raj Bhat and Sowmiya Narayanan, both Trustees hosted Vidhushi Kanyakumari concert in Washington DC on 31st Aug 2019. For the first time in USA, the audience got to enjoy the “Thristayee” or violin trio. Violin maestro Kanyakumari took the time to explain the lyrics of some songs and ensured that the lyrics were sung by Kamalakiran Vinjamuri and Vittal Rangan who both did a splendid job of playing the violin and singing at the same time.
- Microsoft Give: In Seattle under the leadership of Vishwanath Babu Manchikalapati and Jayakiran Pagadala, Board of Trustees, worked with Microsoft in their maiden fundraising. Volunteers inside and outside Microsoft came together in this noble cause to generate donations through a Poker Event conducted in October. With Microsoft Matching and volunteer hours from the Microsoft Full-timers the event was able to generate close to $25K supporting 380 cataract operations.
- In Houston, Leela Krishnamurthy, Trustee led a classical music event and helped generate $25k to name a room in donor’s name at Sankara Nethralaya (India). The event was supported by Nirupama Balakrishnan, Trustee based in Houston.
- We take great pride and pleasure in sharing that ‘Charity Navigator‘ USA’s leading assessment organization for Charitable organizations, with a mission to help donors make well informed decisions and enable well run charities to demonstrate their operational efficiency, total compliance of norms and commitment to best utilization of donor dollars, has accredited the SN OM Trust Inc USA, a leading Indian charity since 1988 and fund raising arm of Sankara Nethralaya as a 4 star charity, the highest rating for non- profits in the country.
Identified the need to procure a new Mobile Eye Surgical Unit (MESU) unit for the Telugu States and adjoining areas whenever possible. The current two signature MESU units are ‘one of its kind operation theater on wheels in Asia’ screened about 85,000 villagers and performed over 15,000 surgeries being coming Projects include MESU for the Telugu States. The interest to procure the new MESU is high and got a boost with an initial funding of close to $40k. Eventually we want MESU coverage across the Nation.
The Combined Federal Campaign is the workplace giving program of the federal government of the United States. We are approved to participate in Combined Federal Campaign (CFC) for 2020. We have been participating in this program for the past two decades. Our CFC No. is 68803. Only during the open season which happens between October/December of the year federal employees can opt which charities they can support.
Dr. S.S Badrinath, The Founder of SN (India), S.V Acharya, President Emeritus and Bala Reddy Indurti President of SN (USA) jointly appealed to the community in their year end fundraising appeal Sanakra Nethralaya USA, whose only mission is to generate funds for the Sanakra Nethralaya India, with operations which included 450,000 outpatients and performed about 23000 surgeries for fiscal year 2018-2019
Sankara Nethralaya operations are distributed across many states in India and the organization is in serious need of funds to support various projects http://www.sankaranethralayausa.org/projects.html and we urge the community to support the noble cause of giving the gift of vision. Sankara Nethrayala USA welcomes donors and volunteers throughout the year and from across all 50 states of the USA. Please reach out to the Sankara Nethralaya USA Officers or Trustees listed at http://www.sankaranethralayausa.org/committee_members.html for more information.
Online contributions can be made at: https://donatenow.networkforgood.org/1416458
You may make your check payable to SN OM Trust, Inc. and mail to
SN OM Trust. Inc.
9710 Traville Gateway Dr. No.392
Rockville, MD 20850
Message from Amitab Bachchan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=czSXdtOY-ZA&feature=youtu.be
Message from Sourav Ganguly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6bz3yJCp04&feature=youtu.be
Message from movie Star Madhavan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-89ymK1oD0&feature=youtu.be