Sankara Nethralaya The Temple of the Eye
- Recently, with 40-plus years of service in India, the Living Legend, Padmabhushan Dr. S S Badrinath, the founder of Sankara Nethralaya received NDTV’s Global Legend award.
- It was in 1976 when addressing a group of doctors, His Holiness Sri Jayendra Saraswathi, the Sankaracharya of the Kanchi Kamakoti Peetam spoke of the need to create a hospital with a missionary spirit. His words marked the beginning of a long journey to do God’s own work.
- On the command of His Holiness, Sengamedu Srinivasa Badrinath, along with a group of philanthropists founded a charitable not-for-profit eye hospital. One that would bring world-class eye care to the people of India. One that would adopt a single standard of care for all, rich or poor. One that would share the fruits of its knowledge and spread its concept of care to distant parts of this country.
- Today, Sankara Nethralaya has grown into a super specialty institution for ophthalmic care and receives patients from all over the country and abroad. It has gained international excellence and is acclaimed for its quality care and compassion. On an average, 1,200 patients walk through doors of Sankara Nethralaya, and 200 surgeries are performed every day. The Sankara Nethralaya family today has over 1,600 individuals with one vision – to propagate the Nethralaya’s philosophy; the place of our work is an Alaya and Work will be our worship, which we shall do with sincerity, dedication and utmost love with a missionary spirit. In its journey for excellence, Sankara Nethralaya has received many awards and appreciation of its efforts. And it still has a long way to go…
- Sankaranetralaya USA Chapter was started by Sri S. V. Acharya and is running successfully for the past 31 years. Its Past President Leela Krishnamurthy and past Vice President Dr. Seshu Sarma have contributed tremendous amount of time to raise funds. Last three years in a row Sankar Nethralaya has raised and sent one million US dollars to India to help cataract surgeries. Sankara Nethralaya USA has announced new Executive Committee for the years 2019-2020 and introduced 13 new Trustees from new locations in the United States to help more people and for outreach.
- On behalf of Living Legend, Padmabhushan Dr. S S Badrinath, Sankara Nethralaya USA, Sankara Nethralaya OM (SN OM) Trust, Bala Reddy Indurti, President of the Trust and myself as President Emeritus of the Trust, I would like to extend a warm welcome to you as you start your trusteeship effective January 2019. – Sri S.V. Acharya
- Sankara Nethralaya OM Trust, Inc. 2019/2020 TrusteesBala Reddy Indurti President
S. V. Acharya President Emeritus
Murthy Rekapalli Vice President
Sudhakar Mattu Secretary
Krishna Raj Bhat Jt. Secretary
Banumati Ramkrishnan Treasurer
Sowmiya J. Narayanan Jt. Treasurer
Trustees (in alphabetic order)
Rajasekhar Aila, Nirupama Balakrishnan, Parthasarathi Chakravarthy, Suresh Dalapathy, Srinivas Ganagoni, Nani Iswara, Dr. Bellamkonda Kishore, Leela Krishnamurthy, Raja Krishnamurti , Meher Chand Lanka, Vishwanath Babu Manchikalapati, Jayakiran Pagadala, Varad Rajan, Dr. Ramkesari Reddy, Dr. Seshu Sarma, Dr. Reddy Urimindi, and Srini Reddy Vangimalla.
Best Managed Charitable Organization in India – Sri Nani Palkivala
Author: Dr. Bellamkonda Kishore